Emmaus Theatre Home
Emmaus Theatre Photos
History of the Emmaus Theatre
How to get to the Emmaus Theatre

 

August 1909: "Great Progress Made in Our Thriving Borough - Among Other Progressive Conditions In Our Beautiful Burg Is "The PALACE THEATRE."

Manager Edward H. Buss assured the people of Emmaus that although only a few years earlier the Nickelette theatre "(had run) riot flaunting its blatant and sensational picture entertainments," the new films have "(driven out) the immoral and rotten shows and are fast putting the salon out of business."

Mr. Buss's words were enticing: "a world of romance and art is brought before your eyes...fit for the young and old to see without any demoralizing results." The advertisement further averred, "You will notice that the management of the PALACE THEATRE is keeping up well with our Neighboring Metropolis in showing big things."

During the early 1900's, the Palace Theatre could be patronized at 364 Main Street in Emmaus (now the site of the Village Apothecary), where the cinema began as a nickelodeon. Moviegoers deposited a nickel, turned a crank and peeped into a personal viewing machine.

Theatre owners Miles Engleman and Dr. Lichtenwalder realized the need for progress in the arts and entertainment world. In the 1920's, the two men purchased the grocery store located on South 4th Street, just above the Emmaus Triangle.

The new theatre was rechristened the "Penlo". Proprietorship was passed on to Mr. Corbett, who later sold the theatre to Jack Miller and Samuel Lorber. Miller initiated renovation, constructing a marquee at the Penlo's entrance.

(Below is a recreation of an original Penlo Theatre newspaper ad)

___________________________

PENLO THEATRE

A Fox Special

"4 DEVILS"

with Janet Gaynor, Mary Duncan, Charles Morton, Barry Norton, J. Farrel MacDonald, NancyDrexel and Others.

Comedy "THE FIXER" also Pathe News

Due to Parade and other Ceremonies there will be NO MATINEE

Monday, June 9th, HOOT GIBSON in "POINTS WEST"

___________________________

When Jack Miller moved west in 1947, Lorber's son, Fred, purchased Miller's share of ownership. The father and son were partners for one year, after which Fred Lorber invested in his father's share of ownership, thus establishing sole proprietorship of what evolved into the Emmaus Theatre. (click here to read the entire article)

 


Questions/Comments? Email us!

emmaustheatre@gmail.com

 

 

 

HOME | PHOTOS | HISTORY | DIRECTIONS

Site design by Cyberdream Design